Everything that comes from France is considered chic, tasteful and à la mode. That is why French cuisine, fashion and the way of life are often subjects of books and magazine articles. I must admit that I too succumbed to the undeniable charm of this delightful country and my trip to Paris was an exciting and unforgettable experience.
I came back home with lots of memories, photos and souvenirs. And a burning desire to know the culture and psychology of the French better. I bought several books on eBay, never suspecting that they would cause real French revolution in my life. Or to be more precise – in my wardrobe.
The idea of having a well-organized, decluttered wardrobe, full of stylish clothes, all neatly arranged appealed to me. Not that my wardrobe was ever untidy. But it was in great need of slimming down.
Full of energy and with my head full of new-found knowledge I rolled up my sleeves and got down to work. I started with a heart-wrenching and tedious task of reducing the amount of stuff I possessed. I got rid of everything that was too small, too big, too old and too not-my-style-anymore. After many hours of trying the clothes on, discarding the unsuitable and selecting the good ones I ended up with seven huge bags of unwanted items!
The rest of the stuff I reorganized by colour, category and season. Now my wardrobe is tidy and I have an easy access to the things I need at present.
Here are several tips that You might find helpful:
- Be merciless in your quest for a smaller wardrobe. Remember that sentiment is one of the reasons your wardrobe is clattered.
- Don’t keep clothes that do not compliment you. Life is too short to wear unsuitable garments.
- Donate unwanted items. You will help some less fortunate people and feel a better person at the same time.
- But new pieces only when you really need them. Shopping for comfort is never a good idea. You end up with less money and something that you might never wear.
- Buy good quality clothes. They can be prices but will last much longer.
Good luck with your wardrobe purging!!!